Most of the people believe that the internet is an operational part of the Algerian schools. That’s true if they refer to what officials say in meetings and official debates concerning education in Algeria. On the other hand , it is false, if we speak objectively about the unreasonable use of the equipments which really exist in schools.
Any of us has at least consulted one of the several decisions made by the ministry. It is obvious that all the Middle Schools and the Secondary Schools have been equipped with valuable electronic devices aiming at the improvement of the pedagogico-administrave performance. It is useless to cite all these references in this space. Objectively speaking, all the teachers ought to be satisfied with the electronic means they have, compared to decades ago. What is being said by the teachers strengthens this satisfaction. But the dissatisfaction lies in the management of these benefits by the headmasters and the administrative staffs (ill- gotten gains never prosper).
Every teachers' meeting, every seminar knows moments of unrest when this point is aroused.
To sum up what the teachers say, I have just selected the following:
- We have x computers but all of them are used for the administrative work.
- We have x computers but we can use them only for preparing the exams.
- We have x computers but it is hard to use them due to extra restrictions.
- We have x computers but our headmaster is a dictators. We are not free to use them whenever we need to.
- We have x computers but just few teachers can manipulate them.
- We have x computers but x of them don’t work.
- We have x computers but all of them are safely stored in an office.
- We have a laptop and a data show but their use is limited to science and physics.
- We have a laptop and a data show but they are used for watching films. They are rarely available.
- We have many computers, the internet and we have no problems.
A quick survey that makes you sick revealed that few schools use the internet in the pedagogical field; I mean by teachers and pupils. All the schools have benefited from a budget exceptionally for a 500 MB connection for 1 year. Almost all those schools are connected, but not all the teachers and the pupils use the internet. Is the problem caused by the managers, the teachers, the pupils, the parents, the …?
I’m personally convinced that the responsibility is shared by all. Do our kids know they are deprived of their rights?
What a pity?
Sheikh Naimi Middle School.